Niche Communications

Domestic Dwellings

Buildings that don’t need a Domestic Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

• Places of worship
• Temporary buildings that will be used for less than 2 years
• Stand-alone buildings with total useful floor space of less than 50 square metres
• Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings that don’t use a lot of energy
• Some buildings that are due to be demolished
• Holiday accommodation that’s rented out for less than 4 months a year or is let under a licence to occupy
• Listed buildings - you should get advice from your local authority conservation officer if the work would alter the building’s character
• Residential buildings intended to be used less than 4 months a year

Non Domestic Dwellings

Buildings that don’t need a non-domestic Energy Performance Certificate (NDEPC)

• Listed or officially protected and the minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter it
• A temporary building only going to be used for 2 years or less
• Used as a place of worship or for other religious activities
• An industrial site, workshop or non-residential agricultural building that doesn’t use much energy
• A detached building with a total floor space under 50 square metres
• Due to be demolished by the seller or landlord and they have all the relevant planning and conservation consents

Vacant buildings and demolition

A building is also exempt if all of the following are true:

• It’s due to be sold or rented out with vacant possession
• It’s suitable for demolition and the site could be redeveloped
• The buyer or tenant has applied for planning permission to demolish it